Sunday, December 9, 2012

Second Sunday of Advent

Today is the Second Sunday of Advent!

 I hope you have found some ways to prepare your heart and soul for the coming of Christ. One way is to focus on the question: What do I need my Savior Jesus to save me from?  What is it in your life that you need a Savior for? We all need a Savior. We all need to make room for Christ in our lives.

Here is a meditation I found from Fr. Victor Hoagland, C.P. for the Second Week: 
When John the Baptizer made his appearance as a preacher in the desert of Judea, this was his theme: "Reform your lives. The reign of God is at hand!" Matthew 3:1
O Jesus, in an empty desert your prophet John proclaimed: God is here, at your side. God has come to bring about a kingdom where injustice and suffering will be no more, where tears will be wiped away, and where those who turn to God will feast at a banquet. 
 
"Turn now, your God is standing at your side. Reform your lives, God's kingdom is at hand." 
 In an empty desert John said these things.

Give me faith like John's, O Lord, strong enough to believe even in a desert that you and your kingdom are no farther from me than my hand. Make my heart strong like his, not swayed by trials or snared by false pleasures. Give me courage to be faithful until your promises are fulfilled.
 
O King of all nations, Jesus Christ,
only joy of every heart,
come and save your people.

Here's a prayer for the Second Week of Advent:

We begin this second week of our Advent journey with this wonderful proclamation of the end of our exile. We really can take off our robe of misery and put on the splendor of the glory of God forever. Let us experience today what it will be like to be freed from the power of our sins to hold us captive. Freed from our longing, our desire: that we might be set free. 
“The Lord has done great things for us; we are filled with joy.” Psalm 126

Dear Lord, Through the darkness, I look for your wisdom. I want my heart to be open to you. But sometimes in these days, it seems that so many things come between us. Help me to be awake and aware of the radiance you bring to my life. Help me to be grateful each day for the blessings of family and friends. Let me be a peacemaker in my own life, and in the world. Let me pray especially for this difficult world and those who are so in need of an end to violence. My heart begs for this as my Advent prayer today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment