Sunday, December 2, 2012

First Sunday of Advent

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiQRPzJ_CbylIsVipdcuMLbNDDKhamXyUOOqH9BZWbq71HLMnH4IRRJ4j2ud4s1RU8aITU_7KswA_6C5wdguyuUR5gNW6_P4YsHOc5MZ77WbGUfK9gRGosFslQqqlgvhpoNVWIMFVy-zC0/s400/First+Advent.jpgToday is the First Sunday of Advent! 

During Advent, we prepare for the coming of Christ at Christmas. It is a time of waiting and hope. Advent is similar to Lent, and during this time, we should pray more, fast, and do good works. You can also give up little things like you do for Lent, such as giving up chocolate, music in the car, or the snooze button. It would also be an awesome idea to find a time to receive the sacrament of Reconciliation or go multiple times during this Advent season. 


Advent is a special time to clean up your soul and make it presentable for the coming of Christ. A priest I know once said, "The best thing you can give Christ is your soul." At Christmas, God gives us the wonderful gift of His Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ. This Christmas, I invite you to give God a present: the gift of yourself. Give Him all of your heart and let Him have all of you, no holding back. So use Advent as a time to prepare yourself for the complete surrender of your heart and soul to God.

 Here is a meditation I found from Fr. Victor Hoagland, C.P.:
"Jesus said to his disciples: 'Be constantly on the watch! Stay awake!...You do not know when the Master of the house is coming.'" Mark. 13:33
O Jesus, your voice sounds through the house of my world: Be on your guard! Stay awake! Yet I hardly hear you. Busy with so much, I go about the things I do like a servant trapped in household routine, hardly giving a thought to what my life is about. My spirit within has grown tired and you, my God, seem far away. How can I hear your voice today? 
 
Speak to my heart during this season of grace, as you spoke to your prophets and saints. Remind me again of the journey you call me to make and the work you would have me do. I am your servant, O Lord. Speak to me in this holy season and turn my eyes to watch for your coming. 
 
O Emmanuel, Jesus Christ,
desire of every nation, Savior of all peoples,
come and dwell among us.
 
 Here is a prayer to say for this first week of Advent:

Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of darkness, and put on the armor of light, now in the time of this mortal life in which your Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious majesty to judge both the living and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment