Sunday, December 16, 2012

St. John of the Cross

This passed Friday was the feast day for Saint John of the Cross. I just wanted to share with you this beautiful poem he wrote:

On a dark night / Kindled in love with yearnings / Oh, happy chance! / I went forth without being observed / My house being now at rest

In darkness and secure / By the secret ladder, disguised / Oh, happy chance! / In darkness and in concealment / My house being now at rest

In the happy night / In secret, when none saw me / Nor I beheld aught / Without light or guide / Save that which burned in my heart

This light guided me / More surely than the light of noonday / To the place where he (well I knew who!) was awaiting me / A place where none appeared

Oh, night that guided me / Oh, night more lovely than the dawn / Oh, night that joined Beloved with lover / Lover transformed in the Beloved!

Upon my flowery breast / Kept wholly for himself alone / There he stayed sleeping, and I caressed him / And the fanning of the cedars made a breeze

The breeze blew from the turret / As I parted his locks / with his gentle hand he wounded my neck / And caused all my senses to be suspended

I remained, lost in oblivion / My face I reclined on the Beloved / All ceased and I abandoned myself / Leaving my cares forgotten among the lilies

No comments:

Post a Comment