Sunday, April 7, 2013

Divine Mercy Sunday

*picture from http://thedivinemercy.org/mercysunday/christswords.php
Today we celebrate Divine Mercy Sunday. This special feast hasn't always been around. In fact, it's very new. Pope John Paul II announced at Saint Faustina's canonization on April 30, 2000, that the Feast of Mercy would be celebrated on the Second Sunday of Easter.

Jesus appeared to Saint Faustina and told her many amazing things about His mercy and His love. If you want to read them all, you can read her Diary - Divine Mercy in My Soul. It's only more than seven hundred pages. Seven hundred pages seems a bit insane, but once you get started reading it, you won't be able to put it down! Her words will blow you away and deepen your faith and love for Christ. I can assuredly promise you this because I've read about half of it and that's the way it affected a sinner like me! I also believe in the power of the Holy Spirit, and I know He can work through the written Word of Christ. Your life will be changed. Get the book.

Here are some quotes from her diary. The following words were said by Jesus Christ Himself to Saint Faustina. The words in italics were written by Saint Faustina.
  • My daughter, tell the whole world about My inconceivable mercy. I desire that the Feast of Mercy be a refuge and shelter for all souls, and especially for poor sinners. On that day the very depths of My tender mercy are open. I pour out a whole ocean of graces upon those souls who approach the fount of My mercy. The soul that will go to Confession and receive Holy Communion shall obtain complete forgiveness of sins and punishment. On that day all the divine floodgates through which graces flow are opened. Let no soul fear to draw near to Me, even though its sins be as scarlet. My mercy is so great that no mind, be it of man or of angel, will be able to fathom it throughout all eternity. Everything that exists has come forth from the very depths of My most tender mercy. Every soul in its relation to Me will contemplate My love and mercy throughout eternity. The Feast of Mercy emerged from My very depths of tenderness. It is My desire that it be solemnly celebrated on the first Sunday after Easter. Mankind will not have peace until it turns to the Fount of My Mercy. 
  • The flames of mercy are burning me. I desire to pour them out upon human souls. Oh, what pain they cause Me when they do not want to accept them!
  • Tell My daughter, that I am Love and Mercy itself. When a soul approaches Me with trust, I fill it with such an abundance of graces that it cannot contain them within itself, but radiates them to other souls. 
  •  Tell souls that from this fount of mercy souls draw graces solely with the vessel of trust. If their trust is great, there is no limit to My generosity. The torrents of grace inundate humble souls. 
  • If souls would put themselves completely in my care, I myself would undertake the task of sanctifying them, and I would lavish even greater graces on them. There are souls who thwart My efforts, but I have not given up on them; as often as they turn to Me, I hurry to their aid, sheilding them with My mercy, and I give them the first place in My compassionate Heart.
  • I remind you, My daughter, that as often as you hear the clock strike the third hour (in the afternoon), immerse yourself completely in My mercy, adoring and glorifying it; invoke its omnipotence for the whole world, and particularly for poor sinners.
  • My daughter try your best to make the Stations of the Cross in this hour, provided that your duties permit it; and if you are not able to make the Stations of the Cross, then at least step into the chapel for a moment and adore in the Most Blessed Sacrament My Heart, which is full of mercy.
  •  My daughter, that when I come to a human heart in Holy Communion, My hands are full of all kinds of graces which I want to give to the soul. But souls do not even pay any attention to Me; they leave Me to Myself and busy themselves with other things.
  • Now you shall consider My love in the Blessed Sacrament. Here, I am entirely yours, soul, body and divinity, as your Bridegroom. You know what love demands: one thing only, reciprocity.
  • Amid the greatest torments, I fix the gaze of my soul upon Jesus Crucified; I do not expect help from people, but place my trust in God. In His unfathomable mercy lies all my hope.
  • And I understood that the greatest attribute of God is love and mercy. It unites the creature with the Creator. This immense love and abyss of mercy are made known in the Incarnation of the Word and in the Redemption [of humanity], and it is here that I saw this as the greatest of all God’s attributes. 
  • Great love can change small things into great ones, and it is only love which lends value to our actions.
  • In whatever state a soul may be, it ought to pray. A soul which is pure and beautiful must pray, or else it will lose its beauty; a soul which is striving after this purity must pray, or else it will never attain it; a soul which is newly converted must pray, or else it will fall again; a sinful soul, plunged in sins, must pray so that it might rise again. There is no soul which is not bound to pray, for every single grace comes to the soul through prayer.

For more information, visit www.thedivinemercy.org. To learn how to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, go to www.divinemercychaplet.org.

Have a blessed Divine Mercy Sunday! 

http://reclaimingourchildren.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341ce4a653ef015435e8c47f970c-800wi
*picture from http://reclaimingourchildren.typepad.com/lumina_a_ray_of_light_aft/2011/10/feast-day-st-faustina.html







8 comments:

  1. no, I not wondering y there's no new post, cuz after talking about Divine Mercy what more can or does a person need to say???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha YES! So true :D I can't imagine what life would be like without God's infinite mercy. It's kind of strange though that Christ would choose to wait to reveal Himself like this until the early 1900s... Why would He wait almost 2,000 years to give us this amazing devotional? Just a question I've been thinking about. I guess we need His mercy most with this culture of Death. True statement: God works in mysterious ways. I am realizing this more and more each day, which doesn't seem like a blessing, but at least I see God in everything!

      Delete
  2. I think that the Diary explains why He chose to reveal Himself in this way now in 83, "...before I come as Just Judge, I am coming as the King of Mercy. Before the day of Justice..." It would seem, and this is what got my attection about St. Faustina and her Diary, that Christ is coming soon. FUN FACT: Coming at ya! "God works in mysterious ways" is not found in the Bible or said by any saints of the Church but is by William Cowper (1731-1800). Cowper was a English Poet in the Church of England the Poem was "Light Shining out of Darkness" Also, thank u for correcting Brad tonight I didn't feel like doing it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't know that that guy said it. I just thought it was a fact. That's pretty cool and pretty crazy that you knew it! But also didn't Jesus always say that the end times were coming soon, even while He was still on earth? I thought He was always telling people that the end was near. I don't know Scripture as well as I would like :(

    P.S. You're welcome! I was just making sure that Brad knew so he wasn't telling people the wrong information. I felt kinda mean, but I thought the truth should be known :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure where I found that out. Some book I read somewhere, no doubt...I think there might be some bible passages that same the same thing or something similar. Yeah! The Priest we had today at the retreat reminded us all of that, that since Jesus came we're living in the end times and could happen any time. But I'm not sure if in her diary it means that or it means that He is coming soon like really soon, idk....I am not sure if Brad knows or even cares if he is giving out wrong or untruthful things...sometimes I really wonder. Don't feel mean, u we're not mean. Remember God is the judge

      Delete
    2. not same but say* and not we're but were*
      sorry long day at the retreat. oh yeah, did, at the women's retreat, you have to work for 2 hrs or so? I am really tired from today from some reason. It was really good, the Priest was awesome and the guys I invited really liked it too!

      Delete
    3. I remember you told me once that we shouldn't judge people, but instead we should assume the best of them, so listen to your own advice when it comes to Brad.
      They didn't make us work at the women's retreat. I think the men's retreat was all about working and doing service. The women's retreat wasn't really about that, so we didn't work.
      I'm glad you had a good retreat :) They should do more stuff like that up there. It's always a lot of fun.

      Delete