Sunday, January 13, 2013

Baptism of the Lord

This Sunday, we celebrate the Baptism of the Lord. The sacrament of Baptism frees us so that we are no longer slaves of sin, but we are born into a new life with Christ and we become sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father.

I think we would sin less if we just remember what we are really doing: rejecting God and instead saying "yes" to Satan. If we just remember those vows we made to God in Baptism, we would be disgusted and ashamed by any sin we consider committing.

On this special Sunday, it would be a good time to remember our own Baptismal promises we made (or were made for us) when we celebrated this beautiful sacrament.


The Baptismal vows:

V. Do you reject Satan?
R. I do.
V. And all his works?
R. I do.
V. And all his empty promises?
R. I do.
V. Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth?
R. I do.
V. Do you believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was born of the Virgin Mary was crucified, died, and was buried, rose from the dead, and is now seated at the right hand of the Father?
R. I do.
V. Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting?
R. I do.
V. God, the all-powerful Father of our Lord Jesus Christ has given us a new birth by water and the Holy Spirit, and forgiven all our sins. May he also keep us faithful to our Lord Jesus Christ for ever and ever.
R. Amen. 

“You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment