Friday, September 13, 2013

His Grace is Enough

I went to a Matt Maher concert last night and he sang a song that I've heard so many times before, but I had never really thought about its meaning. It's called Your Grace is Enough.

This song he wrote was inspired by a verse in 2 Corinthians chapter 12. In this chapter, Paul is talking about how there is something in his life that he really struggles with, "a thorn in the flesh", "an angel from Satan sent to beat me" (2 Cor 12:7). Three times Paul begs God to help him overcome this trial ad suffering. But God says to him, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness (2 Cor 12:9)."

Just meditate on that for a minute. These are striking words, whether you've heard them a million times at mass or if you're reading them for the first time, I encourage you to think about how they apply to you in your life right now. The Scripture is alive and it speaks to us even today.

"I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong (2 Cor 12:9-10)."

So if you're going through a difficult time in your life or if there is something you're really struggling with, don't be discouraged. Hope in the Lord, for He will give you the strength you need to get through whatever you are fighting. Nothing is too much for Him to handle.

We are all human. We are all fragile creatures. We are all weak. There are always demons in this life that we must face. There is always something in your life that must be overcome so that you will be closer to Christ and closer to heaven. These weaknesses make us stronger because God's power is "made perfect in weakness". When we are weak, God will be our strength. So we don't need to rely on ourselves and our own physical strengths, but we should always cry out to God, for He is ready to give us everything we need. He wants more than anything to help us with our struggles and temptations. We can't overcome them without Him. There can be no victory over sin without the love, mercy, and strength of Jesus Christ.

In Matt Maher's song, he says "You (God) use the weak to lead the strong." So don't be afraid if God wants to use your weaknesses and your imperfections to show the world His own strength and might. Let Him work in your heart so that the whole world will come to know the beauty and strength of our almighty God. He can do great things if we let Him.

His grace is enough.

1 comment:

  1. This is my one of my favorite scripture verses. Some translations say "...so I am well content, or "...take pleasure" , or "...pleased with..." which seems a lot cooler to me because St. Paul is HAPPY to suffer for his Savior. That is why God's Grace is enough and should be enough for all of us too. I always thought they were also kinda odd verses too because it seems like God is saying to St. Paul to get over it. That's not true because our God suffers with us...in Christ. In Mt. 11,30 Christ says, "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" most people don't know tho, that there are 2 one for us and one for him...:) good post! keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete