Sunday, August 11, 2013

Saint Clare of Assisi

*picture from www.marypages.com
 
"Totally love Him, Who gave Himself for your love." 
~Saint Clare

"Gaze upon Him, consider Him, contemplate Him, as you desire to imitate Him."  
~Saint Clare

Today we celebrate Saint Clare of Assisi. Inspired by the teachings and life of Saint Francis of Assisi, she founded an order of nuns known as "the Poor Clares". She was a noblewoman, but she ran away to live a poor, humble life of mortification and simplicity.
 
"They say that we are too poor, but can a heart which possesses the infinite God be truly called poor?" 
~Saint Clare

Some soldiers came to attack Assisi and the convent, so Saint Clare brought the Blessed Sacrament to the wall of the convent so that the soldiers might see it. She prayed to God that He would save the nuns, and suddenly the soldiers ran in fear.

"Place your mind before the mirror of eternity! Place your soul in the brilliance of glory! And transform your entire being  into the image of the Godhead Itself through contemplation." 
~Saint Clare


"He Christ is the splendor of eternal glory, the brightness of eternal light, and the mirror without cloud." 
 ~Saint Clare

In all the picture I have ever seen of Saint Clare, she is depicted holding a monstrance. I'm sure the artists are reminding us of that great day where God saved the nuns from the soldiers, but I think it tells us a lot about Saint Clare. She had a deep devotion to the Eucharist and was a great witness of God's love. She shows us the power of God and that we have nothing to fear if we believe in Him. She reminds me of our Lady who is always pointing us to Jesus. She was a powerful model of holiness in the way she lived and gave up her life for something deeper, something not of this world, but of heaven. So let us ask Saint Clare to lead us to Jesus and love Him in a deeper way, just like she did.

"I come, O Lord, unto Thy sanctuary to see the life and food of my soul. As I hope in Thee, O Lord, inspire me with that confidence which brings me to Thy holy mountain. Permit me, Divine Jesus, to come closer to Thee, that my whole soul may do homage to the greatness of Thy majesty; that my heart, with its tenderest affections, may acknowledge Thine infinite love; that my memory may dwell on the admirable mysteries here renewed every day, and that the sacrifice of my whole being may accompany Thine." 
~Saint Clare

"Save me, O Lord, from every evil - of soul and body." 
~Saint Clare

Saint Clare of Assisi, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment