Friday, May 3, 2013

Swim Against the Tide

swim-against-the-tide.jpgI was reading part of Pope Francis' homily from a Confirmation he celebrated on April 28. Part of it just really struck me and inspired me to be stronger in my faith and swim against the tide.

Here's an excerpt 
from his homily:
 
And here I come to my last point. It is an invitation which I make to you, young confirmandi, and to all present. Remain steadfast in the journey of faith, with firm hope in the Lord. This is the secret of our journey! He gives us the courage to swim against the tide. Pay attention, my young friends: to go against the current; this is good for the heart, but we need courage to swim against the tide. 
Jesus gives us this courage! 

There are no difficulties, trials or misunderstandings to fear, provided we remain united to God as branches to the vine, provided we do not lose our friendship with him, provided we make ever more room for him in our lives. This is especially so whenever we feel poor, weak and sinful, because God grants strength to our weakness, riches to our poverty, conversion and forgiveness to our sinfulness. 

The Lord is so rich in mercy: every time, if we go to him, he forgives us. Let us trust in God’s work! With him we can do great things; he will give us the joy of being his disciples, his witnesses. Commit yourselves to great ideals, to the most important things. We Christians were not chosen by the Lord for little things; push onwards toward the highest principles. Stake your lives on noble ideals, my dear young people! The new things of God, the trials of life, 
remaining steadfast in the Lord. 

Dear friends, let us open wide the door of our lives to the new things of God which the Holy Spirit gives us. May he transform us, confirm us in our trials, strengthen our union with the Lord, our steadfastness in him: this is a true joy! So may it be.

Is it just me or is our new Pope really wonderful? He speaks in such a simple yet eloquent way. His words set your heart ablaze and make you want to live a stronger life in Christ. He makes holiness seem attainable. His words make me look at the Catholic faith in a new light. I'm excited to see how the Holy Spirit will work through this amazing man.

If you'd like to read more of Pope Francis' AMAZING homilies, visit www.vatican.va

2 comments:

  1. Pope Francis is pretty awesome! I would like to read more of the Holy Father's works but I can't read enspanol, maybe u can??? I like ur pic and Papal quote too and it reminds me of what G.k. Chesterton said "A dead thing goes with the stream. Only a living thing can go against it.” That gave me some inspiration for today! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, can kinda read in ESPANOL. I can try. I guess you could email an article or something and I could attempt to translate it for you... No promises on how good it would be, but I'd like to try :)

    That's a good quote from G.K. Chesterson. I think I've heard it before... somewhere...

    I'm glad I inspired you somehow. It was probably the Holy Spirit :P But I'm glad I'm not just writing things for the heck of it and that someone is actually reading it ;D

    ReplyDelete